Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pottery Barn Airplane Knock Off Tutorial.

Remember this????  Oh yeah baby, so do I :)

Remember when I made this?



Remember when I promised a tutorial?  Yeah, sorry... I will skip the excuses and post the tutorial!! So here goes!!!!

First go here:
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh562/b2_brown/planeleft.jpg 
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh562/b2_brown/planeleft2.jpg
 http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh562/b2_brown/planeright.jpg
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh562/b2_brown/planeright2.jpg

and print out the airplane on your inkjet. Make sure you have all 4 parts of the plane.   I've done all the work, you just need to print it out.  It should be set up and ready to be printed.  You might have to fiddle with the printing size but I went as big as I possibly could. Once printed, cut them out.  Cut as close to the outline of the plane as you can.   

1.  You need the wood that you'd like your plane to be made from.  Originally I used wood planks but decided that was too big of a pain.  Though I like the look and it is more like the original from PB, it was a pain to do so.  Anyhow...  pick your wood.  Here I used half inch plywood.  The knottier the better.  SEE here, I said Knottier, not NAUGHTIER.  With that cleared up, go ahead measure you boards, don your safety glasses, and cut that wood to measure.  
 Always remember to treat power tools with the utmost caution and safety.

 Here I cut my wood 10.5 X 7.5.  You'll know better what size wood you'll need after printing your plane.  

Next you'll need to get out the stain you'd like to use.  I use MinWax PolyShades.  It's a stain with Poly included.  Skip steps I always say... Actually I NEVER say that. Well, stain your boards, all four boards.  There is no need to stain the back but if you're feeling a bit feisty, go for it.





Once your stain is dry, you'll need to get out your brush and Modge Podge.  There are some great recipes out there for DIY Modge Podge, though I've never tried them.  For the brush I used 1.5 inch  but you can use whatever you'd like.  Brush the entire surface of one board.  Don't get ahead of yourself and do more... you'll regret it. I'm threatening you here ;)  Put a good coat on there but not super thick either.

Also, I'm sure I don't need to say this but work in a well ventilated area, say, like the deck of your investment property.  I digress...

Once the Modge Podge is tacky (you find this out by a simple finger touch in the corner) You take the first plane that you PRE cut out and line it up with the edge of the board. Lika so...
I'm being a little sneaky here.  That board doesn't actually have the Modge Podge on it yet... we're just going to imagine together.  If Bob Ross can do it...  Ohhhh... look at the bunny, the happy little bunny.


Okay, Okay, here is how it's suppose to look.  Once it stuck on and not coming up anywhere let this dry.  Once completely dry, carefully use your brush to re brush the entire surface (over the plane as well).  Be very careful not to curl the edge of the plane.  BUT if you did what I said, that little plane is stuck down pretty good.  




Repeat all the steps until all 4 pieces are complete.  After all pieces are completely dry you can add another coat of Modge Podge and eventually Poly if you'd like.  I never do and apparently I'm learning to skips steps again.  


Almost completely dry. 

Last step is to add hang tags on back of your pieces.  I used the type that you hammer in.  The creepy claw like ones. 

AND here he is all finished...



ENJOY your new PB knock off Airplane planks!!

You can ask any questions in the comments section!  Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. You have put together a great tutorial on your Pottery Barn Airplane Knock off. What a beautiful result! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Kathy! I've loved looking at your blog and it has been useful as I have only been a chicken owner for about a year now. I really love my little fluffy butts! Thank you for the informative blog - I've used it to find answers many times!
    Come back and visit any ol' time!

    A few of my chickens! http://themixedupmama.blogspot.com/2014/05/chickens-gone-wild.html

    See ya!
    Brandy, The Mixed Up Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brandy, thank you so much for this brilliant idea! I was wondering if this could be made larger? I know the original is 2 x 8, I was thinking something like 16 X 60 would work in my space. Would the airplane photos you used enlarge ok, or would they be too pixely? Ive never used modge podge before so I wasn't sure how the resolution was affected by it. thanks so much!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! It can be printed as large as your printer will allow you to! When printing you usually have different options to print larger or on several pieces of paper. Really just depends on your printer You can also go another route and that is ordering an architectural print from a store like Staples or Fed-Ex - it can be as large as you'd like. They usually don't run much - maybe like $7 for a pretty large print. The larger you print a pic the more grainy they get as well. This is an easy fix with a pencil and some light shading. The pixalization wouldn't deter me either - even if you have to touch up with the pencil - I've done this before with these photos and touching up with the pencil really does help a ton, AND the graininess adds to the rustic feel! Hope this helps and good luck!
      The mixed up Mama!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Photobucket images aren't working. Have they been moved? Just discovered this post and I MUST recreate this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was so excited to find this tutorial- and the pictures aren't there anymore!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEAAASE PUT THEM BACK UP!!!!

      Delete