Monday, May 6, 2013

The Paralyzed Man - Jesus Heals and Forgives Art/Craft Project




If you missed it, we home school around these here parts.  A large part of that is having projects that aid the children in remembering lessons whether it be Bible stories, science, or just stories we read together.  Though the cirriculum we use we LOVE http://heartofdakota.com/- we add in a few art projects to drive home what we would like them to really retain.  


I majored in art in college, which just translates into, 'I didn't actually take any real classes', but really enjoyed my time there and love doing 'projects' with my children.  I am offering some of what I have complied for my children to you to use with your little ones, free of charge.  These lessons and crafts are nothing special but they work well with my kids.  If it is a Bible story there will be references that you can read to your child prior to the craft and usually I will have links to short videos from Youtube.com.  I've done all the research and complied everything you should need to teach a lesson they will not forget.  They learn by doing (art), visual (video), and audio (story telling by you).  All of these short films I include here, I have previewed and are fairly close to the scriptures without any serious departure. 

For our Bible, we use the good ol' New King James Bible, and a book called '101 Favorite Stories from the Bible' by Ura Miller.  This is a fairly good book and I typically do not like children's Bible Books.  It is pretty spot on with a few liberties, though not major, here and there.  I usually just skip those parts as I see them coming.  I would highly recommend this book.  I don't get compensated to endorse this book, but I use it with my children 3-8 that home school.  They seem to understand it well and it enjoy it thoroughly.
 

You can find that book here for right around $12.  http://www.amazon.com/101-Favorite-Stories-Bible-Miller/dp/188527047X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367879141&sr=8-1&keywords=101+favorite+stories+from+the+bible

Craft:
Here is the free printable.  I drew this for my children and give permission to use this for personal use only.  If you would like to use it for a church group, please feel free to do so.  If you would like to share it on your blog, your are also welcome to do so but please link back to this site only.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh562/b2_brown/paralyzedman.jpg
Directions -
  1. Follow link and print.
  2. Have your child color the little man, his 2 faces, and mat.
  3. Have them cut out all pieces or help them do it.
  4. Glue faces to opposite sides of man's head.
  5. Punch holes in four corners of mat/carpet (make sure you do not get to close to the edges or it will tear easily).
  6. Cut 4 - 12inch pieces of yarn.  Tie one to each corner of mat through holes and tie all four together at other end.  See photo.

Story:
Bible References to Read prior to craft: Matthew 9:2-8, Mark 2:2-12, Luke 5:17-26
or
Read page 152 in '101 Favorite Stories from the Bible'

Video:
I love the use of scripture in this video and it did keep the kids attention but I must confess, the 'glowing' when the man was being healed was a bit silly and I disliked that part, but overall, nice little video. I didn't like that Jesus hair is a very long in this video.  On a fun note,  if you really pay attention, there are some really creepy guys in the crowd - YIKES!  ;)  Also, I do not know anything really about the website it shows on the video - jesuswonder.com I think it was, so I could not tell you what they stand for.  I will try to look into those things in the future. 

My kids always look forward to the video time as I have popcorn ready for a snack.  Makes our time together even more enjoyable!  Here is a link to the video.  Enjoy and Happy Teaching!

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxkJAvm5UKs&feature=youtube_gdata_player  


Here's my daughter Hannah with her finished art project.  Look how sad that poor guy is on his mat :(


Now here he is...  so happy and healed!!!



I will be adding more crafts + lesson plans so check back.  If you have a Bible story you would like to see on here, please leave me that info in the comments!  Be on the look out for: Jesus Heals the Man with Leprosy, Jesus Calls Peter to Be a Fisher of Men (with video and activity!), Jesus turns Water into Wine.




19 comments:

  1. Brandy you are an inspiration. Love the fun way and effort you put into bringing up your kids to know God's Word!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! My kids are such a blessing me! The Lord often uses them to teach me His ways :)

      Delete
  2. Would you mind if I use this for my Year 1 kids please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you can ;) I am currently working on new Bible lessons.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much! I am a Sunday school teacher and this is exactly the kind of craft I was looking for to go with the story. May you be blessed for sharing! Karen Yoder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, Thank YOU for giving your time for the little ones! Glad you were able to use this!

      Delete
  4. Thank you Brandy! This is absolutely wonderful! I am an Awana teacher and this is the exact thing I needed for this week! My husband commented that I should have the kids use popsicle sticks to make the mat. I love that you have the craft and the video!

    Many thanks!
    sonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The popsicle sticks is a wonderful idea! Great to hear you were able to use this!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much. I couldn't think of what to do with my Toddler group for this story and this is brilliant. Most of the activities are too hard for them but they can do this one with a little help. Thanks! Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Glad this came in handy. I will be adding some new Bible lessons soon!

      Delete
  6. Hi; just wanted you to know I love this idea of the craft for this story of how Jesus healed the paralyzed man. I am going to be using it at church this weekend for 3-4 year olds.

    thanks!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great craft! thank you for your generosity in making it available for others to use. May God bless you greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! This craft is exactly what my preschool nursery children need!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice Project. Thank you so much. .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing! My preschool Sunday School class will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing! Will be using this for our young ones for tomorrow's service! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Used this with the three year old class. (I did the cutting for you ahead of time - for any others of you out there that might have a class of young three years olds.) They loved it! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete