Friday, May 31, 2013

Home made Waffles and Syrup

I am on a crusade to learn to make nearly everything we eat from scratch and although this doesn't add time to our day, it lets me sleep better knowing that I am feeding my family healthier foods, free of harmful preservatives and additives and I can actually control what goes into our bodies.  
 
My breakfast and enjoying pretty flowers given to me by my good friend Kim!


The Bible tells us that 'It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.' Matthew 15:11  It goes on in that chapter to talk about what goes into the stomach is eliminated but out of man's heart proceed all manner of wicked things.  I add this merely to say, although I want to feed my family as healthy as I can, it is not a god set before us to be all consumed with.  If I, for convenience  sake, pick something up at McD's (yuck) than I will not feel guilty and I will not be sinning to do so.  I feel that to often as believers we set up mini gods that we put as all important when the scriptures do not make 'healthy eating' as important as we do.  

BUT, I do believe it is a very worthwhile cause (feeding our families healthy) and that we will reap blessing from the Lord if we do so.  I feel that I have been intrusted with this small herd of people that I need to care for spiritually, emotionally, and physically which in part means keeping those little bodies healthy.  :)  The best way to do that and to fend off health issues we have here is to cook from scratch as much as possible.  Even for me as a mommy, the healthier I am, the better I can fulfil my role He has set before me to care for the needs of my family.  I can not do that if I am sick and unhealthy from bad food choices.  End of that story and stepping down on my milk crate.

Anyway...  Waffles are a daily part of our diet so finding a recipe that my children enjoy as much as they do these waffles was a real bonus.  Who wants to try to cram down their children's throats food they do not want to eat even if it is healthy?  AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!  Besides, they wiggle a lot and it is terribly hard to get them to hold still as you stuff the food in their faces!  Wiggly little varmints! 

Waffles with strawberry syrup.

 This is not one of my healthier recipes at least the syrup isn't but the waffles can be made with all white flour or a mix of white and wheat... which is what I use.

By the way, these I also double and triple the batch and freeze.  They freeze and reheat quite wonderfully.  I must confess it is so nice to have them on hand when I don't feel like cooking in the morning, or even sometimes at lunch, well, for that matter, sometimes at dinner as well.   Nearly every recipe here is great for making ahead and freezing.   



Out of this World Waffles

2 1/2 cups flour or (1 1/4 cup white & 1 1/4 wheat flour)
1 tbs plus 1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbs sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup oil (I use canola)

Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl.  Add eggs, milk, and oil into flour mixture.  Mix until just combined (all dry ingredients are moistened).  Do not over mix as this will cause the waffles to stick to waffle iron.  Cook in a preheated waffle iron until golden (approx 2.5 - 3 minutes).  If you freeze these then when ready to serve take out and heat in toaster.  Enjoy!


Home made Maple Syrup

1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring

Bring water to boil in saucepan.  Add sugar and flavoring.  Boil for 2 minutes, stirring often.  Remove from heat and serve warm or cold from fridge.  Store in container in fridge.

 
Cold slushy Strawberry syrup...  mmmm!



You can also make strawberry syrup which my children LOVE!  Just add approx 10 frozen strawberries (or fresh if you happen to have them on hand) + 1 cup syrup into blender or food processor and process until well blended.  This will make a thick slushy like syrup my kids like well, but equally, you can thaw the strawberries and give it  a more pourable consistency, which I prefer.  

Try them.  You'll like them, your kids will beg you for them, and you can feel good that they just consumed less preservatives.  

Happy Baking!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment